Director of Product, Data
Phunware (Austin, TX)
Austin, TX | Sep 2016 – Present
- Built Phunware’s data business from scratch to healthy targeted advertising revenues in 2018.
- Envisioned, built and brought to market the Knowledge Graph product that unifies massive scale data into an open ontology that is used by brands to gain insight into audiences, optimize engagement and revenue.
- Built Phunware’s blockchain-enabled data exchange that protects brands using verified mobile audiences and compensates consumers for the use of their data.
- Responsible for data analytics platform strategy that processes 4-5B transactions/day using Kafka, Hadoop (Cloudera), Spark, Elasticsearch, Neo4j graph.
Founder | Strategist
Graymatter Strategy LLC
Austin, TX | Jan 2019 – Present
- The mission of Graymatter Strategy is to help people reach their true potential through unique career strategy design and sharing directives that drive outcomes for the career and life they wish for.
- Earned all 5-star reviews for career strategy workshops hosted by Airbnb Experiences.
- Connected with over 3,400 people (over 10 years) to help them accelerate career impact.
Principal Data Scientist
Redmond, WA | Oct 2015 – Jul 2016
- Optimized Microsoft support site (support.microsoft.com) using daily online experiments to simplify user journeys, increase usability and reduce engagement down the support funnel.
Redmond, WA | Oct 2008 – Sep 2015
- Set product strategy and oversaw the engineering/operations of global data platforms that ran Microsoft businesses including partner program, sales, professional services, customer service and support ($50M/yr budgets, 10-50 team members).
- Oversaw the strategic direction and operations of Microsoft’s Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) that delivered master data, integrated data and 150+ data feeds to businesses across the company.
- Recognized as a career strategy thought leader through coaching 1000+ professionals and leaders at events across Microsoft using a self-authored framework.
Redmond, WA | Oct 2006 – Aug 2008
- Led first integrated approach to engineering a next-gen partner platform (https://partner.microsoft.com) that delivered key online services for engaging 60K+ global partner ecosystem
Director, Product Management
Seattle, WA | Oct 2002 – Sep 2006
- Built a distributed data integration product (using TIBCO) and user experiences that seamlessly integrated point applications into scalable vertical business solutions.
- Transformed product management and software packaging into a vertical enterprise solutions paradigm (AspenONE) that simplified selling and accelerated revenue.
Director, Global Solutions
Seattle / Chicago | Jan 1999 – Sep 2002
- Led the product vision and data engineering of an enterprise data platform that enabled the world’s largest integrated chemical supply chain for BP Chemicals.
- Contributed BP data platform designs and collaborated with product team to engineer the Aspen Supply Chain Connect product.
Data Science: statistics, machine learning, research design, visualization, Python, R, Hadoop/MapReduce, information retrieval
Data Engineering: data modeling (relational, dimensional, knowledge graph), data warehousing
Cloud Computing: Amazon, OpenStack, IBM, Microsoft, Cloudera
Engineering: software engineering, program management, agile, lean startup
Product Management: product envisioning, roadmap planning, business case analysis, go-to-market, sales management
Product Marketing: web site content, lead gen, speaking at industry events
Business Management: business model design, competitive analysis, customer relationship management, P&L management
Talent Management: career planning and professional development for staff, coaching leaders how to develop people.
Motto: “Anything is possible – just believe”
Strengths: strategic, achiever, learner, significance
Values: health, commitment, family, integrity, excellence
Philosophy: Essentialism, Stoicism, Minimalism
Brand: future-oriented, planner, passionate, collaborative, resourceful, mentor
Data Freedom: Help people take control of their personal data as a human right to increase privacy and disrupt exploitation.
Career Freedom: Influence the minds of 63K people on life’s most important decision – to pursue a unique career path that brings happiness and achievement.
- Microsoft Six Sigma Green Belt
- AI for Greater Good (Austin, TX)