The Promise – for people who seek career prosperity
The career path we choose is the single most important decision of our life. It will impact our success, wealth, the people we come in contact with and ultimately our happiness. But yet, how we should strategically approach and answer this question is not taught in schools. We are given a slice of time on this earth and how we manage the journey each day will influence the experience of our professional and personal life.
Mastering a career to achieve happiness and success over a lifetime requires more than deep domain expertise. It demands strategy and the social skills of managing oneself and mastering interactions with others.
By becoming a master strategist of your career, you will increase the likelihood that you will live the life you wish for and make use of the most valued asset – time. This can lead to making more money, realizing higher levels of contribution and mastering your internal state of happiness.
The Promise – for organizations who seek top talent
Human capital is generally the most significant expense for an organization. It’s also the engine that translates ideas into products and services that create value for customers and shareholders. An organization can maximize its return on human capital and competitive position by aligning the needs of the organization with the career aspirations of its employees. Organizations become a magnet for talent when they institutionalize a “win-win” culture.
Adopting a proven framework that is more than just helping employees find their next job will develop the whole person and deliver business results.
Why the Framework – For Me
- I am responsible for the choices and outcomes of my life. My happiness and freedom hinges on executing a career strategy that creates a unique path that I control doing work I love.
- I could not find a career process deep in strategy but yet practical to guide action. In 2006, I created a framework to help me succeed in my career and broader life.
- If we are not methodical in our approach to what is truly important, we will succumb to the daily machine of unconscious inertia. Deep issues emerge when we diverge off our path.
- The changing business landscape and forces make people irrelevant. Actively managing a career strategy is required to sustain a unique value proposition that fuels my livelihood and children’s dreams.
- By continuously practicing a set of principles that evolved from my life, it has become an effective form of self-therapy to overcoming obstacles and irrational behavior.
- As a leader, a career process attracts, develops and exports talent across an organization.
- As a father, educating my kids on topics not taught in schools will accelerate their development and reduce learning the hard way. Their success in life influences my happiness.
- As a human being, helping others in their career pursuit can inspire a movement for people to do the same. All boats rise when people help people.
Why the Framework – For You
- It’s life and death – your ability to strategically evolve a career will dictate your options and long-term prosperity.
- Without a strategic direction that you control, you will be drawn into supporting the goals of others and not reach your true potential. You will be disappointed later in life.
- People are busy and often make quick decisions to hear your pitch. Think of yourself as a product with a succinct brochure on your achievements, persona and value proposition.
- You are responsible for your career. Don’t expect organizations to provide answers and look after your best interests.
- Leaders are not mind readers. Articulate what you want to achieve, your high-level path and where you need their help to garner support.
- Your life will inevitably be rocked by failure or issues outside your control. A solid strategic plan and confident mindset will mitigate irrational actions and reinforce calmness.
The Framework – What’s It For
The “Career Strategy Framework” is a connected set of 7 master strategies to shape the design and execution of a career strategy. By adopting and practicing these strategies, you will gravitate to a career you love and earn achievement that is unique to your talents, experience and personality. Your actual life will evolve into the life you wish for.
1 – Know Yourself. Calibrate your mental model to strategically guide all future choices. Transform into person that has a deep understanding of who you are and what is important. Embark on journey of personal discovery to articulate a clear set of values, priorities and a vision of your future self.
2 – Target the Opportunity. Free yourself from being everything to everybody or undifferentiated in a crowded field. Experience the peace and tranquility of a unique target, value proposition and path that is within your control.
3 – Plan the Journey. Gain clear vision of where you are heading through a roadmap of experiences you have architected to reach destinations throughout your career. Optimize impact through tactical day-to-day execution while living through a strategic lens.
4 – Learn Continuously. Grow power by mastering your trade built on a deep and ever-expanding set of knowledge acquired through experience, mentors and education. Evolve your persona to align with the level of achievement and responsibility you envision.
5 – Sell the Value. Increase your credibility and awareness in the minds of others by authentically marketing the evidence of your value proposition. Earn the hearts of others by telling stories that open up and share your unique persona.
6 – Connect with Awareness. Strengthen a support system through a community of relationships that are needed to realize success. Master the relationship with yourself to gain peace and clarity.
7 – Decide Consciously. Master self-discipline with focus, habits and conscious decisions that align with who you are and the roadmap you have designed. Mitigate irrational behavior that will throw your journey off course.
Who’s It For?
- Students in high-school and college that need direction to choose fields of study, apprenticeships and establish an early vision of the life they wish for.
- Parents that need a collection of strategies and philosophies, not taught in school, to help shape their children’s thought process about choosing a career and how to get the most value from education.
- Professionals that are feeling stuck in their current job, need guidance on how to make a job/field transition or market themselves.
- People in transition that have experienced significant change in their life and are feeling a loss of identity, hope or career direction.
- Side Hustlers who want to create options experimenting with unique passions while learning new skills and earning money on the side.
- Human Resource (HR) leaders that are seeking to build a culture of mutual success that aligns talent with the needs of the organization, improve retention and an organization that is a magnet for talent.
- Managers that seeking a proven framework and best practices to develop and export talent to the organization.
- Career event organizers that are seeking practical content from a master career strategist that enable professionals to quickly take action to support their career direction.